Well, now we’re in to December we’re officially allowed to start talking about Christmas! And Christmas is certainly a time when packaging really comes into its own – here are a few amazing packaging related facts about the festive season.
- Approximately 1 billion Christmas cards will either be sent or handed out in the UK – that’s 17 for every man, woman and child. So, when Christmas is done, remember to recycle as many as possible or use some of them to make gift tags for next year!
- Brits will cook more than 19,000 tonnes of turkey this Christmas and we’ll use over 3,000 tonnes of aluminium foil to wrap them and other food with over the festive period
- Around 25 million Christmas puddings will also be served up alongside the turkey. Pass the indigestion tablets…
- An extra 500 million aluminium drinks cans are sold each Christmas
- Talking of aluminium cans, recycling just 1 aluminium drink can save sufficient energy to run a set of Christmas tree lights for 2 hours!
- We will eat around 175 million mince pies, all carefully brought to us in clever protective packaging to keep these lovely creations in perfect condition.
- Around 8 million Christmas trees will take up residence indoors and then be covered in twinkly decorations and lights
- Card packaging used at Christmas could cover Big Ben almost 260,000 times
- In Britain alone we will use around 227,000 miles of Christmas wrapping paper, that’s nearly enough to stretch to the moon!
- Around 30% extra rubbish is generated over the Christmas period – so please recycle and reuse
As we know, Christmas is a hugely important occasion for the packaging industry and certainly for AirPack, and a time when our great products really get put to good use. But remember, let’s all be responsible and recycle and reuse as much as we possibly can. Have fun and enjoy this special time!
English Wine Week 2019By Richard • May 22nd, 2019
With English Wine Week about to get underway for another year the English and Welsh wine industry has never been in better health and goes from strength to strength each year. In 2018 annual UK wine production reached 15.6 million bottles.Read more...
E-Commerce Packaging For Shipping – Rigid vs Flexible PackagingBy Richard • March 12th, 2019
Technology is constantly changing the way we shop. We live in an instantaneous world where you can order just about anything online and have products arrive at your door within days or even hours.Read more...
Back to blog